Next auction date not set as of this time.
The First And Only All Online World-Wide Vintage Surfboard And Surfing Memorabilia Auction
For the first time at any vintage surf auction, every single auction lot was sold to the highest bidder without a reserve!
Offered were some of the most scarce antique and vintage surfboards to ever be seen at auction. In addition, there was lots of rare surfing art, statues, trophies, posters, patches, decals, clothing, books, figurines and more.
Many of the items have very significant provenance attached, like four time World Champion Mark Richards' 1977 Lightning Bolt Gun. Or World champion Jimmy Blear's first place World trophy. Also surfacing was a never seen before original Rick Griffin art board and an ultra rare three piece surfboard from 1965 by Morey-Pope. There's was a 'lost' set of 10 large photographs of 1940s Malibu Beach with lots of surfboards and surfing taken by Marilyn Monroe's photographer.
Nearly two dozen antique and vintage wood surfboards made this the largest selection of wooden surfboards to ever be offered in one place. Included were 1910s and 20s solid redwood Hawaiian ala'ia and paipo boards. And 1930s and 40s mixed wood laminate boards made of balsa and redwood. Also Tom Blake models by 3 of the 4 makers of his boards. And a large selection of solid balsa boards from the 1950s.
The list of 1960s boards was extensive, including more than two dozen model surfboards. And an all star selection of Hawaiian big wave guns. Other significant 60s pieces included World Champion Nat Young's 1969 trophy and a 1961 Surfboards Hawaii rhino chaser, #64 signed by Dick Brewer for Henry Mahi.
Boards from the 1970s included some very significant riders like 1974 Pipeline Master Jeff Crawford's Pipe board. A Lightning Bolt by Gerry Lopez for Surf Movie film maker John 'Orly' Hitchcock. Also a 1970 first place trophy for World Champion Peter Drouyn.
With over 125 lots totaling more than 200 rare and collectible items all being offered with no reserve, the US Vintage Surf Auction was a roaring success.
Bidding is all done online and registration to bid is free and simple. And if you only want to watch the auction, that's free to.
Items offered in the last USVSA auction included:
Vintage Surfing Art and Decor:
- Original 1700s & 1800s copper engravings of the earliest images of surfers and surfing
- An amazing original etching by listed Hawaii artist Huc Luquins from 1918 of Surf-Riding at Waikiki
- A very large, never seen before, signed original by Rick Griffin
- A very rare painting of Duke Kahanamoku surfing Waikiki by Hale Pua / Frank Oda
- An original painting done for a magazine cover art depicting surfers
- A scarce 1920s metal art deco Surfrider girl
- Never seen 1951 Surfrider Lamp
- A large 1940s ceramic Hawaiian girl surfing figurine
- A metal Surfrider man also from the 1920s - 30s
- Malibu Beach set of 10 'lost' original 1940s photographs, each 8" x 10", of 1940s surfboards and surfing
- Original oil paintings by Severson
Plus others Late 1800s to early 1900s books with surfing:
- 1946 California Surfriders by Doc Ball
- 1935 Hawaiian Surfboard by Tom Blake
- 1899 Hawaii
- 1901 A Trip to Hawaii
- 1900 Kelea the Surfrider
The most significant vintage surf trophies ever offered at auction:
- Included is a 1930 trophy inscribed to Kahanamoku
- World Champion Nat Young's 1969 trophy
- 1970 first place trophy for World Champion Peter Drouyn
- World champion Jimmy Blear's first place World trophy
- A 1940 San Pedro trophy
Antique Wood Surfboards:
Early the-turn-of-the-century boards:
- The finest examples of all original, untouched early Hawaiian wood surfboards to ever reach an auction
1920s and 30s solid wood surfboards:
- Solid redwood and redwood with balsa surfboards
- Two very rare Hawaiian boards made entirely of balsa
1930s - 40s surfboards collection:
- A Woody Brown Hotcurl
- A rare Tom Blake - Mitchell 'Hawaiian Surfboard' near mint
- A Tom Blake by Rogers
- A Tom Blake by Catalina
- An unusual experimental Bob Simmons
- And other outstanding solid wood boards from this era.
1950s balsa surfboards will include:
- An all original Greg Noll
- Original Velzy - Jacobs
- Very rare signed Gordie
- A beautifully crafted Woody Brown
- A near flawless Allen balsa
- Rich Chew's personal balsa board
- A monster balsa by Hobie
Other balsa boards:
- Bing - Brewer Pipeliner gun
- Diffenderfer gun
- Diffenderfer balsa / redwood
Vintage 1960's surfboards:
- Greg Noll, Weber, Hobie, Bing, Greek, Con, Hansen, Morey-Pope, Gordie, George Downing, Chuck Dent, Surfboards Hawaii, Brewer, Felker, Interisland, Phil Edwards, Makaha, Hynson, Velzy and Gordon and Smith.
Big Wave 60s Guns:
- 1961 Surfboards Hawaii #64 signed by Dick Brewer for Henry Mahi
- 1968 Surfboards Makaha 'Tigerstripe' pintail
- 1965 - 10' 10" Hobie - Brewer #84
- 1966 - 11' 0" Gordie
- 1960s - 10' 8" Hobie rhino chaser
- 1968 - 10' 0" Greg Noll Surfcenter Hawaii signed
1960's models include:
- Bing 'Pipeliner' Gun and Standard by Brewer
- Morey-Pope 'AAA Eliminator'
- Greenough - McTavish 'Spoon'
- Velzy 'Bump'
- Hansen '50 / 50'
- Bing 'Nuuhiwa Lightweight' tiger stripes
- Greg Noll ' Da Cat'
- Surfboards Hawaii 'Chivas Monster'
- Con 'Ugly'
- Gordon & Smith 'Hynson HY1'
- Hobie 'Phil Edwards'
- Greg Noll 'Slot Bottom'
- Weber 'Feather'
- Greg Noll 'Bug'
- Gordon & Smith 'Tiger Stipe'
- Hansen 'Lopez'
- Hobie 'Corky Carroll'
- George Downing 'Delux'
- Hobie ' Gary Propper'
- Hansen 'Lightweight'
- Greg Noll 'California'
- Hansen 'Competetor'
- Hobie 'Brewer'
- Greek 'Eliminator'
- Greg Noll 'Infinity'
- Rick 'Barry Kanaiaupuni'
- Hansen 'Superlite'
- An ultra scarce Morey-Pope 'Trisect'
- And more!
1960s surfing memorabilia:
Rare Team Clothing:
- A set of 1965 Weber Team shorts & jacket with provenance
- A super rare 60s Duke Invitational team jacket
- A 1964 Hobie Team jacket with provenance
- A rarely seen set of Duke Kahanamoku shoes with the matching shirt.
Collectibles with four (4) or more items in each lot:
- 1940s Malibu, California, ten (10) large photographs of Surfboards and Surfing at the Bu
- Surf Patches - Greg Noll, Harbour, Surfboards Hawaii, Collier, Matador, Katin, Tanaka, Joey Cabell, Morey - Pope, Birdwell, Jeffrey Dale, Con and others.
- Surf Decals - Con, Phil Edwards, Weber, Jacobs, Greek, Bing, Hobie, Corky Carroll, Greg Noll, Harbor, Ole, Dave Sweet, Wardy, Collier, Matador, Carbonell, Aloha, Hawaii, Rick, Wind an Sea, World Championships, Grannis, and others
- Surfboard price lists - Sweet, Wardy, Ole, Flaherty and Diwain
- Surf company business cards - Sweet, Wardy, Ole
- Surf movie posters - 1966 Endless Summer, 1963 Angry Sea, 1963 Let There Be Surf, 1962 Surfing Hollow Days, 1963 Once Upon A Wave, 1962 Dynamite, 1962 Cavalcade Of Surf, 1958 Slippery When Wet, 1963 Gun Ho, 1963 Ride On The Wild Side, 1968 Moods of Surfing, 1962 10th Annual International Surfing Championships at Makaha, and others
- Original 1960s 16mm surf and skateboard films: For Surfers Only by Grant Rohloff, Barefoot Adventure, The Wet Set and Hobie Skateboard movie all by Bruce Brown, Surf Mania & Psyche Out by Walt Phillips
- Surf related albums - a single lot of more than 100 albums!